Jun 22, 2010

HDU2

What is that?  I had never heard of this term before either-until one Saturday in May.  So-this is a long story.  The Boy Scouts of America is celebrating 100 years this year.  In celebration, youth, adults, and alumni can earn the Year of Scouting award.  Adam and I challenged each other to earn the award, which requires completing 3 activities in 5 areas: Character, Community Service, Leadership, Achievement, and Outdoors.  The requirements for the boys are different than for leaders....

In the area of Community Service, one of the activities is to be an active participant in a Habitat for Humanity project.  As luck would have it, our local Habitat is buildling a duplex this year.  :) 

My good friend, Heather, and I headed over there and after signing all sorts of release forms, we got right to work.  One job the foreman gave us was to install these:


This is an HDU2.  If you build houses, you already know that.  I had to stand back and take a look at things, make my own assumption as to why they needed to be installed, and then double checked with the foreman.  Thankfully, my assumption was correct.  This is where they are installed:

Just inside the front door, on the weight bearing wall, and in the garage.  They are reinforcement against earthquakes.  Now, looking at this picture I am reminded of a little problem we incurred while trying to install.  We were supposed to unscrew the bolt, put the HDU2 over the screw, then tighten the bolt.  Then, we had 8 screws that had to be tightened into the 2x4.  But, we had to hammer the screw into place first.  Do you see the problem?  How do you swing a hammer in a 4" clearance? 

This is Heather, installing a HDU2 near the front door.  One on each side.  It was so fun working with her-she always has the best attitude and it's contagious.


This is me installing a HDU2 on a weight bearing wall: (yes we had beautiful weather that day)




Wait!  What is different?  Oh yeah-some big tall man came by, took out his hammer, and knocked that obnoxious 2x4 out of there.  Ahh-made life easier.  But I ask the question: "Why can't we try to remember to install these things BEFORE putting the other 2x4 up?  Wouldn't that save time?"

So we put in our time that day.  We participated in a community service project.  It was fun.  It really was.  In fact, someday when I don't have 4 small children at home I'll go spend more time on a project like this.  I may be too old to kneel down, but I will go.  Maybe I'll take my family with me.  Had it not been for a great organization like the Boy Scouts of America, I would not have made the effort to go participate in this project.  Yet another reason I love the BSA. 


2 comments:

Natalie said...

You (and Heather!) are AWESOME/. So glad you have found that awesome, wonderful organization. They are lucky to have you!

Pezlady Jana said...

good for you! That is fantastic that you got to go do that!